The Industry Champion role
Industry Champions are volunteers from any level and any sector of the world of work, who come into a local school or college to support young people as they prepare for the world of work. You could be asked to talk about your careers journey and industry, online or face-to-face. Enjoy meeting students and help them make the best start in life. Popular activities include:
- Virtual videos and interviews
- Careers fairs
- Apprenticeship roadshows
- Mock interviews
- Employer and student networking events
- Round table exercises and Creative Cafes
- Enterprise days
- 'What's My Line' activities
- Mentoring schemes
- Workplace tours and visits
- Classroom or assembly talks
For more inspiration on the different ways you could get involved, see our case studies booklet.
Make a video to help out during Covid-19
We are encouraging employers and employees to make simple videos about their business and career journey, to give students added inspiration during Covid-19. More information can be found here.
Becoming an Industry Champion benefits local employees and businesses in many ways:
- Playing your part in supporting and shaping young people's careers and plans
- Raising your own brand awareness and profile in the local community
- Potential links to support your own talent pipelines and future workforce
- Gaining and sharing ideas with young people in East Sussex
- Yours or your staff member's CPD
- Supporting the local business and education community
Digital badge and certificate
There is no minimum commitment expected, however by supporting three or more of these activities over an academic year, your business will earn the East Sussex Industry Champion digital badge and a certificate to display on your website and in your workplace.
By signing up as an Industry Champion you will receive our monthly events calendar and be able to choose whether you are available and interested to support any events and activities. If you'd like to experience an activity before you join our growing network of Industry Champions, then please click here to register to ‘Give an Hour’, a national campaign that the East Sussex Careers Hub are part of. Please consult this document (opens new window) for guidelines on how to work safely and effectively in schools. Industry Champions sign up to this Code of Conduct (opens new window).
To hear from current Industry Champions watch our video.