Social Mobility Foundation
The Social Mobility Foundation provide a free of charge Aspiring Professionals Programme. The programme supports high-achieving year 12 students from low-income backgrounds access top universities and professions, and we hope that students in East Sussex will apply for next year’s programme!
Students in East Sussex can apply for APP Residential and APP Reach.
APP Residential – Sector or Employer Insights
Instead of applying for a residential this year, students can apply for one of the sector or employer insight programmes. If the residentials can take place, they will happen during summer 2021, are mostly based in London and are free of charge.
The sector or employer insights available are:
• J.P. Morgan Finance
• J.P. Morgan Digital
• KPMG Accountancy
• BP Engineering
• PA Consulting Springboard
• Neil Stevens Fellowship Digital
• Law Insight (employer partners are Clifford Chance, Linklaters, Herbert Smith Freehills, White & Case and Akin Gump)
• Medicine Insight (this took place at James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough last year)
Regardless of whether the residentials take place in person or virtually, as they did in 2020, students will gain a rich insight into the sector and employer. They will be offered skills sessions on topics such as employability skills and networking, mentoring from an employee at the firm, and university application advice and guidance including a personal statement workshop.
The programme of support extends right through university until students are in graduate recruitment, and the support at university changes depending on what career they are aspiring to enter.
For students anywhere in the UK who do not meet the academic criteria but would benefit from support, then please apply for the APP Reach programme. The academic criteria for this is 5 GCSEs at 9-5 (A*-C) / 5 National 5s at A-C and have ambition to go to university.
Students on the APP Reach strand get a mentor from their chosen career sector, access to all the online career and university resources and invites to university visits where this can be accommodated based on location. We offer support on APP Reach across all 11 of our career sectors which can be found here.
• Currently in Year 12 and have at least 5 GCSEs at Grade A/7 and be predicted ABB at A Level.
• Students must be personally eligible for Free School Meals (FSM) at any point since Year 7, but not need to have claimed them.
• Students must be personally eligible for Free School Meals (FSM) at any point since Year 7, but not need to have claimed them OR first generation of their family to attend university and attend or previously attend a school with a higher than average number of students eligible for FSM.
Students at schools within East Sussex can find out exactly which criteria applies to them on the website.
There is also a contextual offer for care-experienced students
Deadline: 12 noon, Wednesday 16th December