Year 1 includes:
• Unit 1 covers the core principles across the three science disciplines.
• Unit 2 focuses on practical procedures and techniques and introduces you to laboratory equipment and techniques including titration, colorimetry, calorimetry and laboratory safety.
• Unit 3 focuses on science investigation skills.
Year 2 includes:
• Unit 5 covers more advanced core principles across the three science disciplines.
• Unit 7 focuses on contemporary issues in science. You will interpret, analyse and evaluate scientific articles which discuss a range of contemporary science issues.
You will also complete six optional units, which cover a range of Biology, Chemistry and Physics topics. These may include Physiology, Organic Chemistry and Medical Physics.
Mathematical skills and concepts run throughout many of the unit.
At least 5 GCSEs graded 9-4 including 4/4 or above in
Double Award Science and 4 or above in English and Maths.
This course leads to a diverse range of university courses such as Molecular Cell Biology, Biosciences, Forensic Investigation and Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Chemistry. You will also be able to progress to higher apprenticeships within the Science sector or employment.