This qualification is structured to teach you the practical skills and knowledge required for you to gain employment in the catering industry, both local and national. Over the course you will prepare and cook a range of dishes, covering a wide range of commodities. Areas covered include:
• How to prepare food safely, covered by completing the RSPH Level 2 Award in Food Safety and Hygiene.
• Basic catering skills, covered by the preparation and cooking of stocks, soups, sauces and vegetables, including vegetarian dishes and special diets.
• The Preparation and cooking of meat and offal, from individual cuts to larger joints.
• The preparation and cooking of poultry, from individual cut to full birds.
• The preparation and cooking of fish and shellfish, from individual fillets to whole fish.
• The production of dishes using rice, fresh made pasta, grains and egg.
• The production of patisserie products, from hot and cold desserts, cake biscuits and sponges to fermented dough products.
You will also gain further knowledge in:
• The catering industry
• How to work in a safe manner
• How to plan prepare and cook food to meet the needs of healthier and special diets
• Catering operations such as planning and costing menus to meet the customer’s needs and operational costs.
A range of D-E grades or a suitable Level 1 qualification plus an interest/passion in catering.