Core Maths is designed for students with a grade 4 or above in GCSE Maths who want to take the subject further, but don’t want to study the traditional A Level course. It provides useful maths skills for students studying courses such as A Level Psychology, Geology and Geography or Applied Science, Business, ICT and Sport Science. The use of real-life scenarios will appeal to students who prefer a less academic approach and appreciate the value of everyday maths and
problem-solving skills. It will also support them through further/higher education and learned skills will be useful in future employment.
It carries the same UCAS points as an AS Level.
• Analysis of data - collecting and sampling data, representing data numerically and diagrammatically
• Personal finance - interest rates, repayments and the cost of credit and taxation
• Estimation - the modelling cycle and Fermi estimation
• Critical Analysis - Presenting logical and reasoned arguments in context and communicating solutions
Optional sections (you choose one option)
• A. Statistical Techniques - The normal distribution, probabilities and estimation, correlation and regression. This option fits very well with social science and sport science
• B. Critical Path and Risk Analysis - Critical path analysis, Expectation, Cost benefit analysis. This fits well with Business and ICT
• C. Graphical Techniques - Graphical methods, Rates of change, Exponential functions. The option for Applied Science
At least 5 GCSEs graded 9-4 or A*-C. A grade C/4 or above in Maths is preferred, with a minimum average of 43 GCSE points.