Bricklayers are currently in high demand and are well paid. This fun and exciting course will give you the skills and knowledge you will need to start your career as a professional bricklayer.
The aim of this course is to take the experience from Level 1 and apply it to more challenging tasks culminating in practical assignments which have to build to industry standards.
Based in our newly refurbished workshops, our industry-experienced teachers will give you the confidence to work as part of a team and also to work on your own and solve problems.
Students have the opportunity to enter competitions and there have been several MET student winners at the Guild of Master Bricklayers Regional Final.
Practical units include:
- Interpreting working drawings to set out masonry structures
- Producing thin joint masonry and masonry cladding
- Building solid walling, isolated and attached piers
- Construct cavity walling forming masonry structures
Theory units include:
- Principles of Building Construction, Information and Communication
- Health, Safety and Welfare in Construction
- Building Construction, Information and Communication
- Organizing, Planning and Pricing Construction Work
GCSEs in English and maths are part of the core programme of study. Students who have not achieved a 9-5 grade in English and maths will be required to study the appropriate level as part of their main qualification.
To study on this course you will need to have successfully completed the Bricklaying Level 1 course (City & Guilds Certificate in Construction Skills (Bricklaying) Level 1).
Further study and future careers
You can progress to a Level 3 bricklaying qualification, either full-time or as an apprentice.
- Master bricklayer
- Team supervisor
- Self-employed builder