Based within the exciting and vibrant creative industries department, our art & design courses provide you with the opportunity to build your skills in a wide variety of areas including drawing, painting, printmaking, 3D, textiles, fashion, graphics and illustration.
- Northbrook MET is renowned for its creative industries courses
- State-of-the-art studios and workshops
- Facilities for a wide range of art and design disciplines
- Industry-experienced teachers
- The creative economy employed 3.12 million people in the UK in 2017—1 in 11 of all UK jobs
About this course
You will build your skills in a wide variety of areas including drawing, painting, printmaking, 3D, textiles, fashion, graphics and illustration. With projects across all these different areas, you will discover your strengths and define your future path. If you are looking for a career in the creative industries but are unsure what area that will be, these are the courses for you. Industry-based projects and work experience opportunities are part of each course curriculum, enabling you to further develop the skills to progress to a career in the creative industries with the energy and confidence to thrive.
- Drawing skills, graphics and illustration
- Cultural and historical studies
- Photography, printmaking, fashion and textiles
- Sculpture/3D design
To start at this level you need at least three GCSEs at grade 3 (D/E) or above, including English and Maths, and a portfolio of your creative work.
Portfolio review with the course tutor.
Your portfolio of work must demonstrate your interest and enthusiasm for the subject area. You are required to bring sketch books, evidence of research and observational drawings, examples of developmental work as well as some final pieces. We are also interested in looking at work you have completed in your own time. There are a number of parental consultation evenings scheduled throughout the year which provide parents with the opportunity to gain feedback on your progress made at college.
If you do not have the above grades start on the Level 1 Diploma in Art & Design.
After this course
This level 2 course allows you to progress to the UAL Level 3 Diploma in Art & Design or to one of our Level 3 courses in Fashion & Textiles, Digital Media Arts, Graphic Design or Games Development. There are numerous options and your tutors will be on-hand to guide your decision.
On successful completion of a Level 3 course you can consider university, employment or apprenticeships.
- Designer: fashion/textile/graphic/interior
- 3D designer: jewellery/ceramics/craft/product design
- Retail designer/curator
- Creative director/entrepreneur