Our games design course will provide you with the practical skills and knowledge to move into the fast-growing gaming industry. You will learn within a creative and supportive environment through a mix of taught sessions and industry-based projects.
Industry-based projects and work experience opportunities are part of each course curriculum, enabling you to develop the skills to progress to a career in the creative industries with the confidence to thrive.
This Level 3 diploma leads directly onto the second year, the Extended Diploma, where you will further develop your creative understanding and specialist skills, and gain the experience needed to progress to university, employment, or an apprenticeship.
Diploma - Year 1
- Media processes and technical skills
- Digital animation
- Design and research skills
- Life drawing, still life and 2D & 3D visualisation techniques
- Professional practice
- Critical and contextual awareness
- Investigating audio production and technology
- Visual production and technology
- Interactive production and technology
- Developing a creative media production project
- Developing playable game levels or game concept art
- Presenting work professionally
- Live work-related projects, linking in with employers from industry
Extended Diploma - Year 2
Drawing skills for games
- 3D animation and game level design
- Specialist design skills relevant to the games industry
- 2D and 3D visual arts techniques
- Research and critical thinking
- Testing and analysing games
- Developing a portfolio of design work preparing you for university/employment
You should have at least four GCSEs at grade 4 (C) or above, preferably including a creative subject, English and maths, a portfolio of creative work and evidence of your interest in the subject.
You have the opportunity to complete the UAL Diploma in the first year and then the Extended Diploma in the second year.
If you do not have the above grades, you can start with Level 2 Creative Media or Art and Design.
The majority of Level 3 Year 1 students progress onto the second year UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Games Design.
On successful completion of the Extended Diploma, you could progress to a university-level course
Degrees at the MET include the Northbrook MET FdA/BA courses in Graphic Design and Illustration. Degrees at other universities can include Gaming, Character Animation, 3D Modelling, Interactive and Graphic Design.
Future careers include:
• 2D animator
• 3D animator
• Game artist
• 3D modeller
• Level designer
• Games designer
• Project lead
• Freelance artist