Ark Alexandra Academy
It is to support learners facing genuine financial barriers and whose families have an income below £30,000.
Ark University Bursary Programme
Students progressing to university who have demonstrated an excellent attitude to learning in sixth form are eligible to apply for Ark university bursaries.
These range from £3,000 for the first year only to £30,000 over a three-year degree programme — in all cases, bursaries help reduce the cost of university for successful applicants.
We continue to support our students during university by providing bursaries, work experience, skills workshops and other unique opportunities as part of the Ark alumni network.
What makes us different?
Our small, effective and highly successful 6th form provides specialist and high quality teaching and support for each one of our students. Our 2018 progress outcomes are ranked in the top 25% of schools in the UK.
Ark Alexandra Academy 6th Form will continue to build upon this success providing a seamless transition from GCSE into Post 16 qualifications in an environment where every student is known as an individual. We are ambitious for all of our students to achieve the best outcomes and progress to a top university or into a career of their choice.
Last year 15% graduated to study at a Russell group university and 17% accepted a high level apprenticeship. To achieve this, we have high expectations and standards:
- Relentless expectations of our students’ attendance, hard work and study habits.
- Expert teaching in vocational and academic subjects from teachers who have a proven track record of success and who have strong working relationships with their students.
- High quality 1:1 career advice and guidance that supports all students to make informed choices regarding their future and prepares them well for their application to university and the world of work.
- Wider curriculum experiences that include volunteering opportunities within and beyond the school such as certificated coaching qualifications and outdoor and adventurous activities.
- A character programme that continues to support the development of their social, moral, spiritual and cultural understanding.
- The opportunity to apply for a bursary to support their academic studies whilst in the 6th form and for university. More recently, a student received a £30,000 bursary towards their tuition fees
We provide a secure and convenient minibus service to any students who travel as part of their sixth form programme: buses run between the Lower School turning circle at Ark William Parker Academy and the Lower School car park at Ark Helenswood Academy
There are dedicated sixth form facilities on both school sites including study spaces, sixth form only catering and communal areas for break and lunchtime.
Study spaces are supervised by the sixth form team or teaching staff whenever possible.
This ensures you have access to support when you need it and also helps you to make good use of your study periods, staying on top of your academic workload while also focusing on personal organisation, time management and research skills.
Some students move between sites to attend lessons in some subjects and to make the most of opportunities for volunteering and enrichment. Where this is necessary, you will be transported free of charge in order to minimise the impact on your learning time.